One player always has INITIATIVE, a distinction used to resolve timing conflicts. During setup, the player with lowest squad point total chooses who has initiative. If both players have the same squad total, one player rolls one red die. On a hit or critical result, the player who rolled the die chooses who has initiative. On a focus or blank result, his opponent chooses who has initiative. The player with initiative places the initiative token next to his cards.
- During the Activation phase, if both players have ships with the same pilot skill, all of those ships belonging to the player with initiative activate first.
- During the Combat phase, if both players have ships with the same pilot skill, all of those ships belonging to the player with initiative resolves the phase first.
- If both players have effects that resolve at the same time, the player with initiative resolves all of his effects first.
If you have the choice of who gets initiative, here are some things to consider:
- Do you share pilot skill with any of your opponent's ships?
- Do you have any abilities that would trigger at the same time as an opponent's, where order matters?
- Do you want to place the first obstacle? Last obstacle?