Range is the distance between two ships as measured by the range ruler, which is divided into three range bands. To measure range between two ships, place the range ruler over the point of the first ship that is closest to the second ship, then point the other end of the ruler toward the point of the second ship's base that is closest to the first base. The range is the band of the range ruler that falls over the closest point of the second ship.
When measuring range for an attack, the attacker measures to the closest point of the target ship that is inside the attacker's firing arc.
- The following terms are used concerning range:
- Range #-#: The range includes all of the range bands from the minimum to the maximum specified.
- At: A ship is at a specified range if the closest point of its base falls inside that range.
- Within: A ship is within a specified range if the entirety of its base falls inside that range.
- Beyond: A ship is beyond a specified range if no part of its base falls between Range 1 and the specified range.
- If attacking with a turret primary weapon or a secondary weapon that may target a ship outside the attacker's firing arc, the attacker must measure to the closest point of the target ship even if that point is outside its firing arc.
- When measuring range to a token, measure to the point of that token that is closest to the ship's base.
- When measuring, players use a single edge of the range ruler; the width and thickness of the ruler are irrelevant.
- A ship is at Range 1 of itself and any ships that it is touching.
Range Combat Bonus Edit
Laser cannon volleys are much easier to avoid when the attacker and defender are far away from each other; similarly, avoiding enemy fire is much more difficult at close range.
When resolving a primary weapon attack, the attacker or defender may roll additional dice depending on the range of the attack. At Range 1, the attacker rolls one additional attack die during the "Roll Attack Dice" step. At Range 3, the defender rolls one additional defense die during the "Roll Defense Dice" step.
- Range combat bonuses are not applied during a secondary weapon attack.